These are history’s 10 most influential people according to Wikipedia (Photos)
A group of computer programers created a
Python script that analyzes dated from Wikipedia articles and ranks them based on length of entry, number of links to pages, and how long the person in the article lived. According to this ranking, here are the 10 most influential people in history:
10. Joseph Stalin – Dictator of the Soviet Union from 1922 until his death in 1953. Stalin instituted a reign of terror and was responsible for millions of deaths.
9. Sir Sidney Lee – An English biographer and critic, who wrote over 800 articles in the Dictionary.
8. Napoleon – The French military and political leader who led his nation during the Revolutionary Wars. Napoleon is regarded as one of the greatest commanders in history. He also had a major long-term impact by bringing liberal reforms to the territories that he conquered
7. George Washington – The first president of the United States and leader of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. George Washington also presided over the convention that drafted the US Constitution.
6. Queen Victoria – As queen of the UK and Ireland, her reign is know as the Victorian Era and was a time of great industrial and economic expansion.
5. Winston Churchill – The Prime Minister of the UK during WWII and winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature. He lead the UK to victory over Nazi Germany and is the first person to be made an honorary citizen of the United States.
4. Franklin D. Roosevelt – President of the United States from 1933 to 1945, he lead the US during WWII and was a central figure in world events. FDR is the creator of the New Deal and defined modern American liberalism.
3. Abraham Lincoln – He is often regarded as the greatest president of United States. Lincoln lead the country through the Civil War, preserved the Union, and abolished slavery.
2. Carl Linnaeus – Known as the ‘father of modern taxonomy’, Linnaeus was a swedish botanist, physician, and zoologist. He formalized the system of naming organisms called binomial nomenclature.
1. Adolf Hitler – The leader of Nazi Germany, instigator of WWII, and facilitator of the Holocaust, Hitler’s policies inflicted human suffering on an unprecedented scale.